Skip to main content

"New Year, New Me"—Pinterest Vision Board Challenge


This week we had the opportunity to engage in a fun Pinterest challenge, developing and creating a vision board! As usual, Dr. Dennen set the stage for week 5, providing a detailed overview of our course blog site. Week 5 included yet another challenge that could lead to a badge; as I enter each week with possible challenges, I often read over them and decide if my week is divinely aligned. Divinely aligned means I have the time to complete and engage fully in the challenge. One of the challenges for this week focused on creating a vision board using Pinterest. I never thought about using Pinterest in this way, but while reading the challenge description, I knew that this is something I would be interested in participating in. Whenever I think about vision boards, I instantly think of "new year, new me" mindsets and Raven Symoné on That's So Raven. Who doesn't love a fresh start? 

At the beginning of the Spring 2023 semester, my doctoral cohort held a first-year doctoral student program, "Professional/Doctoral Journey Vision Board Party." As the doctoral first-year representative, I co-created a program that focused on building community with students in the first-year cohort. Thanks to a very special cohort mate and friend, Gabrielle Haggins, who is in EME6414, we came up with the idea as we felt this was so important for us to have as doctoral students along this journey. Professional vision boards included milestones and goals we want to achieve while in the Ph.D. program. Also, folks like Ravi Bhatt, who is in EME6414, also participated in our cohort vision board party. Like the vision board I did in the Spring, my vision board for EME6414 focused on my doctoral journey.  Pinterest allowed me to be more creative, as many of my images were thoughtful and more intentional. This is one perk for a vision board using a digital platform like Pinterest. There are endless opportunities to be creative. During the vision board party in the Spring, we were limited with our image selections based on the magazines we had access to. I liked this challenge because I could reimagine how my doctoral journey is going and how I would like it to go, being able to "speak things into existence" or "Manifest." My vision board included 1) a new wardrobe; I am hoping to redesign my brand with a new closet full of clothes that are suited for teaching, conferences, and everyday social life; 2) publishing book chapters or journal articles; I want to continue to develop and contribute to higher education scholarship, specifically leadership studies research regarding teaching and Black male leadership; and 3) All Things Leadership; where I have some thoughtful leadership quotes/phrases along with images that represent leadership to me. 


Johnnie Allen Jr. Vision Board Challenge

Comments

  1. I love this Johnnie Allen, great seg way back into getting accustomed to Pinterest again! This activity definitely reminded me of the professional vision board party for our cohort. This felt so natural to me and it did to you too once you got the hang of it! I also loved your Pinterest board you made! great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev