Skip to main content

Reddit Communities! Joining Like-Minded Individuals

 


Joining the world of Reddit this week has been a major highlight for me! I had heard of Reddit before but only partially paid close attention to what individuals could do on Reddit. I assumed it was another place to offer reviews and commentary on topics of interest. As I began to work on the Community Norms assignment, I knew I wanted to participate in the full version; the full version offered a unique perspective to continue enhancing my knowledge and skills with the various digital and social media sites for class. Although I was excited to participate and engage in Reddit communities, there are a TON to choose from. Leaving me to feel overwhelmed by the many options. Continuing to explore Reddit, I joined communities of interest as it relates to Sports (NBA, WNBA), Reality Tv (Real Housewives Franchise, College Hill Celebrity Edition, Married to Medicine, etc.), Black memes, and Twitter communities, NBA 2K. These communities all felt normal and comfortable to me because these are spaces and communities that I engage with daily in my personal life. 

While reflecting on Reddit and its purpose, I connected to Babajide Osatuyi's (2013) article on information sharing on social media sites. Reddit is a platform that offers information to individuals who are coming to engage and share information of their choosing. Osatuyi (2013) explored four categories of information sharing that I found to be interesting 1) sensitive, 2)sensational, 3)political, 4) and casual information. The communities that I joined on Reddit follow aspects of casual information sharing. Casual information is "information shared among friends, colleagues, or even business partners such as the discussion of a good restaurant to have lunch or a great resort to go for vacation" (Osatuyi, 2013, p.2623). Reddit is the space to engage in the exchange of casual information. I have enjoyed this because it shows me that when I watch my reality Tv shows, there are several other people with similar or different opinions. Being able to engage and join these communities showcased the reliance on community knowledge and sharing in digital and social media spaces. 


Reference: 

Osatuyi, B. (2013). Information sharing on social media sites.Links to an external site. Computers in Human Behavior, 29, 2622-2631.

Comments

  1. Welcome to Reddit!! (i'm a new user as well). It's a nice to be able to curate your "space" based on your interests. So for now, i'll enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Reddit has been so overwhelming for me as the influx of information has been a bit intimidating. Regardless, as you said, the community of folks with similar or different opinions has provided me perspective and has truly made me think about my own opinions in a constructive and critical way. I hope you continue to enjoy Reddit and if you feel overwhelmed, know I am right there with you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Johnnie, great connections between joining a community and your real experience on Reddit! You can find each Osatuyi categories of information on reddit if you're looking for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev