Skip to main content

Instruction and Learning Through an International Perspectives

 


Lastly, this week's blogs taught me the importance of wanting to incorporate international perspectives into teaching and instruction. I teach several leadership classes and I see the importance of including global perspectives in discussing leadership. One of the leading frameworks at the center of leadership courses at FSU includes the Culturally Relevant Leadership Learning (CRLL) Framework (Bertrand Jones et al., 2016). Thinking of the framework, it is a great one, and I appreciate the work of Dr. Bertrand Jones and colleagues. I am interested to see how CRLL can be used to interrogate global and international leadership perspectives. U.S.-based leadership context not only influences U.S. leadership norms but also influences global leadership and perspectives. Leadership across disciplines is different, but also leadership across various global and international environments.
I want to encourage the students that I am teaching to explore the global and international pros and cons of leadership. Many leadership articles and resources that guide the curriculum of leadership courses follow U.S. perspectives, which do not shape and create global and culturally relevant leaders. It makes me think about one of my field's leading international leadership conferences, guided by the International Leadership Association (ILA). I currently have a presentation accepted for this conference with some grad colleagues, and it made me think about this week's course topic. What are ways that you think about international perspectives in your respective discipline? Is it essential to highlight international perspectives in courses that do not center on international knowledge as an intended learning outcome? I will continue to see how global leadership can be discussed and explored in my leadership courses. One course I can see an international perspective is within Leadership and Change, a course that I teach in the Spring! 

References: 
Jones, T. B., Guthrie, K. L., & Osteen, L. (2016). Critical domains of culturally relevant leadership learning: A call to transform leadership programs. New directions for student leadership152(2016), 9-21.


Comments

  1. Hi Johnnie! It is so vital to incorporate international experiences within higher education. Thank you for reflecting on how you can do this within the classroom and I look forward to seeing and engaging in international education literature and lived experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe