Skip to main content

Wait there's MORE?—Discovering New Social Media Platforms

 


Living in a world with constant and rapid changes, specifically in a digital world, forces individuals to engage with various social and digital media platforms and tools. I could not have thought of a better time to take this course and learn about Web 2.0 and its societal influence. If it was not for this course, I would not pay close attention to the latest social and digital media outlets. EME 6414 has shifted my lens and perspective when thinking about and engaging with social and digital media. I used to feel the need to constantly stay on all platforms because I strongly feared missing out. However, this course has taught me to critically think about the ones I participate in. Should I be participating for my own knowledge consumption, or am I choosing to create all of these platforms so I can always catch what is trending? Now, we are in a world where everyone is on social media, which can cause additional challenges. One very important and favorite platform of mine, Twitter, is experiencing trouble due to changes from Elon Musk. The changes introduced another tool, Threads, for individuals to engage in, similar to Twitter. I thought it was cool for it to emerge so quickly. However, I could not download and create an account. I am in this stage where I want to minimize how much time I spend on social media. However, I have friends sharing how much they love Threads, so I feel I am missing out. What are your thoughts on Threads? Do you see yourself creating an account? Is there a thing as TOO MANY social media apps? I am still figuring out whether Threads will be my next account. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe