Skip to main content

Personal Vs. Professional Social Media Identities—Do I need to live "separate lives"?



 Personal Vs. Professional Social Media Identity


Do you have to keep separate your personal and professional lives on social media? Why or why not?


For a long time, when thinking about social media, I believed that my personal and professional lives could not co-exist on the same social media site/platform. I thought this to be true because I followed what others told me to do rather than what I felt worked for me. Often times I heard professionals share that their personal and professional identities are not the same. I agree that there are some differences between how I am in my personal life compared to professional work settings. However, I pride myself on being authentic and genuine as I hope to reflect those qualities in my personal and professional lives—including in digital and social media spaces. I joined social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay updated with current trends that many of my peers and friends were experiencing, build community and network, and immerse myself in the positives and challenges of digital/social media. The positives include expanding my network and increasing my competence with technology. Through the positives, I also had to embrace the challenges of social media sites, such as the burden of constantly educating and training myself on new updates or the "next" big social media site and the overuse and dependence on social media in my daily life.

Kietzmann et al. (2011) discuss the evolving nature of social media sites stating, "there currently exists a rich and diverse ecology of social media sites, which vary in terms of their scope and functionality. Some sites are for the general masses, like Friendster, Hi5, and—of course—Facebook, which opened up only 4 years after Sixdegrees closed its doors. Other sites, like LinkedIn, are more focused on professional networks; in fact, Facebook started out as a niche private network for Harvard University students" (p.2). I chose this direct quote because it addresses social media sites' early mindset and framing and their design usage. The way that social media sites are viewed now, I believe, is shifting due to the impacts that social media sites have on our lives. People are taking and creating their own definitions of social media and what a personal and professional social media identity looks like to them. Through this class and learning more about Web 2.0, I think my practice of being comfortable merging my personal and professional identities will continue to make me a more authentic and genuine person as I engage in higher education and student affairs environments.  My Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have become places where I share my personality and also where I share information about my journey as a doctoral student and leadership educator. Showcasing both my personal and professional social media identity. I do not believe in "living separate lives" between my personal and professional social media sites because I am the same person in both spaces. I can share more about myself and my interests, such as being a huge reality TV fan, Basketball enthusiast, and a lover of funny memes and GIFs while also maintaining my identity as a professional. I can share my accomplishments and even the challenges I face throughout my professional journey. It goes back to one central question I hope to challenge others to consider. What does professionalism mean, and who has defined this concept of what is professional and what is not? 


Reference:

Kietzmann, J. H., Hemkens, K., McCarthy, I. P., & Silvestre, B. S. (2011). Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media. Business horizons, 54(3), 241- 251 


Comments

  1. The public/private dilemma is one that so many people struggle with (myself included). And, of course, the definition of personal can be quite relative. I actually have a blog post on that very topic brewing right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev