Skip to main content

#BabyBlogger—Hashtag Movement or Should I say Culture?

 Using hashtags has been foundational to my digital and social media journey! I entered the world of social media using hashtags for everything because, to me, it seemed "cool" or the thing to do. I remember times in middle school when I would post several hashtags in one singular post, where I felt that the hashtags overpowered the message I was trying to convey. However, now that I think about hashtags and their usage, it is highly beneficial and used in educational spaces to promote conference updates, new publications, teaching resources, advancing one's network, etc. I attended the American College and Personnel Association (ACPA) national conference back in March of this year in New Orleans, and the hashtag "#ACPA23" was utilized and encouraged by presenters and participants of the conference. This was an easy and useful way to learn about the different sessions and presentations at the conference from my Twitter account. It also made connecting with others easier where I was able to make connections from Twitter leading up the the conference and could follow up while at the conference in person. Hashtags serve a far greater purpose than I could have imagined from my initial usage. Hashtags were used to push forward different movements and moments in time to disrupt injustices and shine a light on the experiences of those who may have been impacted. Now, hashtags are a part of the culture on social media sites. It is something that you will be able to see in multiple spaces and multiple perspectives. Hashtags are used for Tv show series, movies, album releases, graduation photos, and birthdays, and the list can go on and on. I am a fan of hashtag culture, and I see myself continuing to use them! #BabyBlogger #EME6414 #Tired😅 #Excited

Hashtags are a great way to build community in digital and social media spaces. Mainly because when people relate to what you are sharing based on your hashtag or your hashtag is relevant to what they are thinking. I refer to hashtags largely to stay updated with my reality tv shows! I love to see what others in the digital community think about a show I, too, watch! 

What is the hashtag of some of your favorite Tv series? Mine is #RHOA #RHOP #Married2Med #Ghost 

Reference:

Dennen, V. P. (2011). Conversations on the hashtag: Does conference Twitter use promote professional discourse?Links to an external site. Paper presented at International Conference on the e-Society. Berlin: Germany.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unplug Time!

  I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-chang

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev