Skip to main content

Chapter 25! "Wish Johnnie Allen Jr. M.S.Ed. a happy birthday (May 31)"

 



On Wednesday, May 31st, I celebrated my 25th birthday! I am sharing this not for birthday praise (however, I am accepting birthday wishes all year long😊!) but because it is tied to my journey with this course. I have started to rely heavily on birthday reminders from various digital and social media sites. I have difficulty remembering some of my close friends and other people's birthdays, and I never want to entirely miss sharing some birthday love with them on their special day. Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even LinkedIn offer daily notification reminders of "today's birthdays." I noticed on my LinkedIn page that it is displayed as "Wish Johnnie Allen Jr. M.S.Ed. a happy birthday (May 31)". I find this helpful and a clear example of using digital sites to our advantage to keep building community and networks through professional and social relationships. Many of the events in our lives are now far more public than private due to the reliance on social media sites and their usage in our daily lives. I noticed this year that many individuals I have met across my K-20 education journey have become pivotal to aspects of my birthday celebration. I have met many people through conferences and networks who join my social media communities and offer their celebratory sentiments on various topics I share. Marta Dabrowska shared, "what used to be approached, discussed, dealt with, and celebrated within a small circle of family and friends has now become in many was a public event" (p.87). I agree that birthdays have adopted to be largely announced on digital and social media sites. This may be great for someone like myself whose number one love language is words of affirmation. However, birthdays may not feel that way for everyone. Some may avoid social media on that particular day because it may be difficult for them for various reasons. We have talked a lot in this course lately about "what is truly private on social media." Sometimes private is not entirely up to us as others may make information more public and might do so without thinking about the impact this could have on someone. 

Embedding birthday notifications into social media sites can present some advantages and challenges. Could this be considered an aspect of one's professional learning network? How do digital natives vs. digital immigrants view birthday notifications on social media? What are your thoughts on these types of notifications? 

Reference: 


Marta, D. (2019). Birthday, Culture, and Social Media. Armenian Folia Anglistika, 15(2 (20)), 86-123. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/birthday-culture-and-social-media


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is TikTok More Than Just a Social Media Site?

Every new app has its time of prime existence where I would describe this to be a time where the app is it at its peak. The peak includes high downloads, consistent usage, and constantly a trending topic on other social media apps. TikTok became one of the next apps to enter its prime  where several people worldwide began using it at large rates. What is TikTok you ask? Well as described in Adnan et al (2021) "tiktok allows users to record videos of themselves goofing off to music or spoken-word clips and then edit the footage with a variety of effects. As of 2021, TikTok is one of the world's most popular applications (at least among those under a certain age" (p.1). Being an app that has been successful to capturing an audiences across the world it is important to understand its connection to our education system as a practical and useful tool that can ehnace learning outcomes.  I encourage you to review the questions below and reflect and think about your journey/exper...

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev...

Becoming a Blogger 101

 What should I include in my blog? Am I doing this right? How can I make this a fun learning and developmental experience for myself?  These are all questions I began asking myself after listening to Dr. Dennen's Week 1 VoiceThread. I knew that the class would challenge me in areas I may not be as familiar with, which is PERFECT. As someone who uses various digital/social media platforms, I have not gotten into blogging,  not because I don't see it as exciting but mainly because I never took the time to explore it. I never would have thought that enrolling in EME6414 for the Summer would be my start to making time to learn how to blog. Following the instructions from the VoiceThread, detailed syllabus, and week 1 Blog Journal Assignment Overview, I felt more confident in my abilities to blog. While also practicing grace with my journey of learning all about the "Do's and Don't's" of blogging. To become confident using Blogger.com, I watched different YouTu...