Skip to main content

Unplug Time!

 






I have always loved social media and my relationship with digital devices and platforms. However, it has been an adjustment throughout this course. EME 6414 has required me to be far more engaged on social media, which is okay, but I should have thought about how tired I could be from constantly trying to keep up and engage with multiple aspects of the online world. We are surrounded by and consumed by digital media in our everyday lives. The digital detox challenge could not have come at a better time; this challenge helped me take a break from everything I have felt overwhelmed by. The biggest challenge for this particular #EME6414 challenge was that I experienced moments where I felt like I missed out on information that could be beneficial to me in the real and digital world. I began with silencing notifications of the various social media apps I use daily, and after completing that, I decided to put my phone on do not disturb (DND). The DND feature on iPhones has been life-changing for me as I have been able to silence all notifications and not get distracted by many. We are living in a world that constantly has social and digital media guiding our daily routine; there are many times when the first task that I do daily is open a social media app and check my newsfeeds. I constantly feel as if I am missing something when I am not on social media. Even if it is just scrolling the accounts to see the latest picture or accomplishment, any time I want to take a step away from social media, I instantly have moments of fear of missing out, better known as FOMO, because I depend on digital and social media for the majority of my information from local and global news to updates from family and friends and school! 

Thank you, Gabrielle, for the amazing social media detox tips! I plan to continue to practice moments where I go "dark" from the world and truly take a pause and break from the digital world. The time I took to do that now could be repeated in months or weeks/days. Everyone deserves to power off from the world and begin to live in moments that bring them endless joy and peace. Digital media can be toxic and lead to additional challenges and barriers, leading to a critical moment of unplugging and recentering one's routine. I chose to do this challenge while back home in Indiana, and I could spend time with my friends and family and genuinely get the love I came to Indiana for. I did not check my email, but I did if it was not urgent. Urgent emails received immediate responses, whereas emails that were not urgent did not. I have discussed throughout the course how I also am teaching some undergraduate courses. I was able to power off from that work, as it can be exhausting in the Summer term with everything moving at a quick pace. My detox consisted of enjoying great food, laughs, some happy tears, and even moments when I took a day trip to Cincinnati, Ohio, for one of my fraternity brothers' birthday! 

How often should someone have a digital detox? What do you feel makes the most sense? How would you spend a digital detox day? 

Dr. Vanessa Dennen eme6414.blogspot



Comments

  1. Thank you for reflecting on your detox! I also participated in the challenge and took a lot away from it! Seflishly, I am especially happy you chose to detox this past week as I knew you were going home and were able to take in that experience fully! I know how excited you were and am so elated to hear that the detox was a good experience for you, especially while being home. I think digital detoxing is similar to any other mental health care routine, take time to participate in it in healthy ways and with moderation in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can resonate with you regarding FOMO. When I am off digital media for quite a long time, I get nervous about missing something important because these days a lot of information is shared through digital media. On the other hand, sometimes digital media itself triggers FOMO. When I couldn't attend the last AERA, looking at all the AERA posts on Twitter made me feel like I was missing really important experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree, I had very similar feelings regarding AERA. I have never been but this year I noticed more than ever (maybe because my Twitter is filled with tons of higher ed folks) information about the conference. I think it is so telling in our daily experiences how prevalent digital and social media is in our experiences.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your detox journey! Proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Challenge Reflections! #SumItSunday Pt. 2

  Overall this week was one of my favorites! I was able to participate and engage in multiple challenges, and the best challenge of them all was on Twitter. Twitter has become the social media app I constantly use, and I love the direction that my personal Twitter is evolving with a mix of my doctoral identity and leadership educator identity while also sharing the highs and lows of my experience. I discuss the joys of teaching, presenting, and doing research with outstanding faculty; while sharing updates about my life and the specific day I might have had, whether good or bad. I want to continue to be authentic when engaging in higher education. I want individuals to always feel comfortable speaking with me and knowing that I, too, am human, regardless of the level of education I might hold or even positions later on in my career. In this week's Twitter challenge, I was able to be funny with my Gif choices while also profoundly thinking about what I wanted to share for the challe

Am I missing SOMETHING? Trying to be in all spaces at once

  Class pulse check! I have been wondering if others have felt similar feelings that I have when it comes to missing some of the challenge opportunities or missing commenting and exploring other classmates' blogs, etc. I often reflect at the end of each week and think about ways to improve for the following week. Some weeks have improved, but I still need to overcome the obstacle of missing something! I offer myself grace in this situation as I engage a lot and in multiple contexts, but I am still missing something. I don't know if that ever goes away because it is not humanly possible to be at all places (even online spaces) at once. What do you do when you feel you have "missed" something? Do you set new goals for the following week? Do you have accountable partners? Do you have reminders? In addition to these probing questions, how do you handle the moments when you don't meet the goals you had set for the week?  I am all for wanting to engage and engage in sev